Friday, October 8, 2010

Pink My Diet

Cancer is very prevalent in my family.  My mother is a breast cancer survivor.  And with October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month and my age creeping ever higher toward my mid-thirties (that can’t be right), I’m really starting to think seriously about breast cancer prevention.  This prompted a call to one of my best friends, a breast surgeon at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC.  “What can I do to help prevent breast cancer?”

My friend pointed me to several studies that link diet and weight directly to breast cancer risk.  First of all, I need to get myself down to a healthy weight.  That means losing 20 pounds (gulp).  Scientists believe that the estrogen production in fatty cells may be the connection between obesity and breast cancer risk.  Research shows that my diet needs to be about two-thirds plant based, with foods that have low calorie density and are low in fat.  I need to cut out a lot of red meat and limit my alcohol.  I guess it’s true, you are what you eat. 

The other main thing I need to do is GET MOVING!  Studies show that we need about 30 minutes of vigorous exercise every day to help keep breast cancer at bay.  If getting into those skinny jeans wasn’t a motivator, surely preventing cancer will get me up on my feet every day!

Come on in to The Fork & Spoon for our new lunch buffet.  Every Tuesday – Friday from 11 to 1 we’ve got soup, salad and pasta for $5.49!  Let’s start this healthy living together!

No comments:

Post a Comment