Friday, November 19, 2010

A Big Thank You!

                I’ve been suffering lately from a terrible sickness.  You might have caught this.  It’s going around.  The symptoms are total misery, grumpiness, agitation, dissatisfaction and complaining.  I’ve had a bad case of jealousy.  And it’s been really hard to recover.  I’ve been disgruntled about every hardship because I keep thinking of someone else who has it easier.  Even the choices I’ve made for myself start to make me angry because other people are making easier choices.  They should have it just as hard.
                But as Thanksgiving draws near and I sit with my daughter and talk about the meaning of the holiday, I’m realizing that my illness needs an antidote.  And the antidote is right there in the word, thanks.  If I stop the storyline in my head and just sit and look around, I have so very much that deserves my gratitude.  And the jealousy is just discounting the wonder of my life. 
                Yet life is really just so wonderful.  There are so many things in life to savor and appreciate.  And nothing I can add can increase the joy I receive from being with my three crazy kids.  As Wendell Berry says in his poem “The Wild Geese,” “what we need is here.  And we pray, not for new earth or heaven, but to be quiet in heart, and in eye clear.  What we need is here.”  I can mumble complaints about what I don’t have, or, with same breath, I can say thank you that I have all that I need.
                We at The Fork & Spoon want to take this time to say a special thank you to all of our wonderful customers.  We know you have a choice when dining out and we thank you for joining us.  We hope to see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment